Project Name: Government Funded Irrigation (GFI) - Immediate Action Irrigation (IAI)
i. Initial Amount:50,000,000,000 RwF
ii. Budget so far used: 16,000,000,000 RwF
iii. Donor/Financier(s): GoR internally funded project
iv. Partners : Local authorities, Farmers, MINAGRI projects and Institutions
v. Date of effectiveness: July 2010
vi. Implementing entity: TF-Irrigation and Mechanization
Objectives of the Project:
The main goal of the project is the intensification and modernization of agriculture to successfully avoid dependence on rain-fed agriculture in the driest part of the country.
The project intends to cover 5000 hectares in Kirehe District and Nyagatare Districts; Eastern Province and the sources of water to be used are Lakes (Cyambwe & Rwampanga) and Muvumba River.
- Sensitizing and mobilizing farmers communities on the opportunities of irrigation development;
- Construction of irrigation infrastructures;
- Management of hillside irrigation schemes;
- Capacity building of farmers and local authorities;
- Protection of the irrigation schemes against erosion and flooding.
- Completion of 1000hectares of hillside irrigation schemes using sprinkler, drip and center pivots irrigation systems in Nasho and Muvumba valleys;
- A canal of 13km for crop protection against hippopotamus from the Lakes has been constructed ;
- Works related to the development of a new irrigated scheme of 500 hectares using center pivot in Kagitumba are ongoing;
- Five (05)Water Users Organizations (WUOs) for all water users for irrigation purpose have been created ;
- Two (02)Farmers cooperatives for the management and operation of developed schemes have been created and are operational;
- During the season 2013A a yield of 4 tons/hectare has been reached in irrigated schemes,
- Production of beans with yield of 2.5ton/hectare;
- Twenty four (24 ) Shelters for maize harvesting have been constructed for the purpose of harvest treatment;
- Farmers have been trained on the production of Compost from crop residues;
- Farmers’ with cattle in the scheme have been trained on the Production of animal feed from maize residues;
- Farmer’s beneficiaries in the developed schemes have been trained on the operation and maintenance of irrigation infrastructures.
Contact Persons for GFI project:
GFI Contract Manager
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com