POST HARVEST HANDLING & STORAGE TASK Force
Project Name: POST HARVEST HANDLING AND STORAGE TASK FORCE
Partners: WFP, USIAD PHH&S TF , IFDC, ADB, CDF, JICA, WORLD BANK, Netherlands Corporation
Funded by: Government of Rwanda
National Strategic Grain Reserve: 2,247,206,718 Rwf (2013/2014 FY)
Crop Intensifaication Program: 9,200,000,000 Rwf (2013/2014 FY)
Timeline: July 2010- 2016
- Ensure food security in the country,
- Intensify Production by using improved seed, organic and mineral fertilizer (CIP).
Coverage: Country wide
- Training of farmer’s cooperative in Post Harvest best practices,
- Post harvest best practices dissemination,
- Post harvest tools and equipments distribution,
- Post harvest losses survey,
- Construction of drying grounds in different districts,
- Construction of warehouses,
- Installation of metallic silos,
- Mobilization of private sector to build storage facilities (warehouse),
- National Strategic Grain Reserves development,
- Fertilizer purchasing & distribution,
- Voucher distribution.
- A total of 2,367 Cells IDPs, District and Sector Agronomists have been trained and on average level, 415 farmer’s cooperatives are trained and coached on annual basis,
- 133,621 farmers (maize, rice, beans, Irish potato and wheat farmers) were directly coached on post harvest best practices,
- 63,963 sheetings, 4,947 shellers and 782 hermetic grain storage bags have been distributed to farmers in order to minimize post harvest losses,
- Post harvest losses of maize and rice have been reduced from 32% to 9.24% and 25% to 15.2% respectively for season 2013A.
- 157 drying grounds, 42 warehouses and 4 metallic silos have been constructed across the country with a total storage capacity of 134,110 MT,
- 3 rice mills (each with input capacity of 2.2-2.6 MT/hr and output capacity of 1.5-1.8 MT/hr), seed plant (5MT/hr capacity) and an edible oil soya plant of 16.6MT/hr capacity have been installed,
- Mobilization of private sector to engage in post harvest activities has been done: 8 storage facilities (warehouses) with 65,400 MT capacity have been established; an animal feed plant is being constructed by a private investor in Rwamagana District; a feasibility study for the construction of an Irish potato processing plant in Musanze District has been conducted and mobilization of shares is ongoing,
- A total of 38,150 MT of maize and beans have been purchased for the National Strategic from 2010 to 2013,
- National Strategic Grain Reserves were used to support people who faced losses due to disasters through the Food for Work program: a total of 1,684.398 MT of maize and 627.478 MT of beans were distributed,
- 27 Farmer’s cooperatives were contracted to deliver 2,560 MT of maize and 7,200 MT of beans for the National Strategic Grain Reserves in the P4P program from season 2011 B to 2012 B. 30 farmer’s cooperatives have been contracted to deliver 4,000 MT of maize for Season 2013 A,
- Collaboration with MININFRA (RTDA) and development partners surveys have been done in order to develop an action plan of prioritized feeder roads and ensure its implementation. Mobilization of funds to support the feeder road program has been done and as a result, some development partners have expressed their willingness to support the feeder road maintenance and rehabilitation program: World Bank, European Union, Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands and USAID.
Chairman (Ai): Kayiranga emmanuel